Meta descriptions are short snippets of text that provide a brief summary of the content of a webpage. They are displayed in search engine results and give users an idea of what the page is about, which can influence whether they choose to click on the link. Here’s how to optimize your meta descriptions:
- Keep them concise and to the point – Meta descriptions should be no more than 155 characters, so make sure you include the most important information about the page’s content.
- Use relevant keywords – Make sure your meta description includes keywords that accurately describe the content of the page. This will help search engines understand what the page is about and improve its visibility in search results.
- Make them appealing – Your meta description should be written in a way that entices users to click on the link and visit your site. Use action-oriented language and make sure it accurately reflects what the page is about.
Example 1: Title: “Best Coffee Shops in New York City” Meta Description: “Discover the top coffee shops in NYC for a delicious cup of joe. Find your next favorite spot today.”
Example 2: Title: “How to Optimize Your Website for SEO” Meta Description: “Improve your website’s visibility in search engines with our step-by-step guide to SEO optimization. Start boosting your traffic now.”
Example 3: Title: “Top 10 Hiking Trails in Yosemite National Park” Meta Description: “Explore the beauty of Yosemite with our guide to the top 10 hiking trails. Get ready for an adventure like no other.”
How to add Meta description in WordPress, Coding Sites, and other CMS
To add a meta description in WordPress:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to the page or post where you want to add a meta description.
- Scroll down to the Yoast SEO section, which is typically located near the bottom of the page.
- In the Yoast SEO section, find the “Meta description” field and type in your description.
- Click “Publish” or “Update” to save your changes.
To add a meta description in other content management systems:
- Log in to your CMS dashboard and go to the page or post where you want to add a meta description.
- Find the section where you can edit the page’s metadata or head section.
- Add the following code to your head section, replacing “Your Meta Description” with your actual description:
<meta name="description" content="Your Meta Description">
- Save your changes and publish the page.
For coding sites like HTML, you can add a meta description in the head section of your HTML code, as shown in the example above. Just make sure to replace “Your Meta Description” with your actual description.